Recipes to bake with your kids

Written by Jamie Martin, editor of Simple Homeschool and writer at Steady Mom

We made these Cinnamon Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins yesterday–um, incredible. Stop whatever you’re doing (yes, even reading this post) and go make them right now! (Just a note for those interested: We substituted the sugar with maple syrup, and decreased the milk to 1/4 cup.)

Okay, all done? Let’s move on, then!

Thanks for the wonderful response to yesterday’s post on teaching kids to bake! Enough of you asked for the specific items my children are learning that I thought I’d do a short follow up today. Keep in mind that you can easily tweak these choices to whatever cookbooks and recipes you like best.

As I mentioned yesterday, I’ve chosen the first eight items for my kids’ baking “curriculum,” then they will pick the final two items from all of our cookbooks and resources.

I made my selection with the goal of a well-rounded baking overview in mind:

The eight items I have on my kids’ baking list are as follows:

Homemade Granola – Beauty That Moves

Simple Whole Wheat Bread – Allrecipes.com

Chocolate Chip Cookies – Beauty That Moves (Do you see a theme here? You should totally sign up for one of Heather’s awesome e-courses!)

Vanilla or Chocolate Cake  – Actually I’m still looking for a simple recipe for these…preferably with a natural sweetener…anyone?

Muffins – I like the blueberry muffin recipe from the Green Market Baking Book by Laura C. Martin

Apple Pie with Butter Crust – Recipe from Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair

Simple Scones – Allrecipes.com

Biscuits – Recipe from Homemade Fun by Rae Grant

Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Brownies – 100 Days of Real Food

Favorite Cookbooks/Blogs

For those with younger children

I have been baking with my children (before I started official “lessons”) for years. Tuesdays have always been “baking days” and each child would have their own bowl. As I added ingredients to my mixing bowl, I would add a little of each to theirs as well–they would mix, stir, make a mess, laugh, cry, and enjoy!

Gather more ideas for baking with younger kids from my post on Steady Mom – How to Cook with Kids…Without the Frustration

Have a recipe that you and your children have enjoyed baking together? Share the link below!

Comments

1. Ellen says:

Thanks for the links! I’m going to try out those brownies!

We love this: http://cookieandkate.com/2011/honey-whole-wheat-banana-bread/

2. Bobbi says:

I bake a whole lot and I have loved this post about doing this with your kids as part of homeschool. We are in our second year of homeschooling. As far as an easy recipie for vanilla and chocolate cake, these two are my favorites! The white one is fluffy and amazing in texture and flavor! http://sweetapolita.com/2011/07/fluffy-vanilla-cake-with-whipped-vanilla-bean-frosting/
    I just love all the sweetapolita stuff I have tried. I have not tried her icing but I am sure its good but the cake well its just amazing and pretty simple. And I also like her chocolate cake which is again is amazing in flavor and super simple to make
    Thanks for sharing all that you have, especially your amazing idea to teach your kids to bake and thanks for sharing the recipies that you have taught your kids to bake!

3. Megan says:

I think this is such a lovely idea. My little guy is only two, but he loves working in the kitchen with me. This morning, I had him flattening cookies before baking, but I never thought of letting him have his own little mixing bowl. He’d love that – such a great idea!
    Megan’s latest post: Chick-O-Stick PB Cookies: Because not everyone loves chocolate.

4. se7en says:

Oh fabulous… thanks for the recipes!! Always fun to try something new!!!
    se7en’s latest post: Sunday Snippet: Remembering Remembrance Day…

5. Valerie says:

I like to bake, but have not had much success with my few attempts at cake. The Moosewood vegan chocolate cake is one that I’ve had success with you — I’m pretty sure I got the link from one of Heather’s classes:) Perhaps, though, you are looking for a more traditional cake to teach that skill, and this wouldn’t be the recipe for that. But others may find it useful.

6. Rebekah says:

I love this super easy, one-pan chocolate cake from the Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys book by Lucinda Scala Quinn

phytoceramides side effects phytoceramides from rice best anti ageing night cream help aging skin phytoceramides gluten free