Written by contributor Kara Anderson.
Hey there, Santa.
This is little Kara Anderson (Barbie Dream House, 1982).
I wanted to let you know that I have been pretty good this year, all things considered.
I have stopped trying to do all the things on Pinterest.
I have been generally responsible with my Amazon Prime account, forcing myself to wait 24 hours before impulse-ordering curriculum materials.
I currently owe the public library just $9.75!
(But I do have 16 items on hold …)
And so, because I’ve been a pretty good homeschooler, I was kind of hoping I could ask you for a few extra things this year:
1. I’m wondering if you could give me three extra hours every Saturday. I love getting kicked out of the craft store at closing time as much as the next woman who needs exactly 42 Popsicle sticks, but between groceries, errands and trying to pick up our home, I could use just a little longer each weekend for homeschool planning.
3. Speaking of books, can you get all of the original Nancy Drews turned into audiobooks? All read by Laura Linney? And can you have her call flashlights torches?
4. Is 40 printer cartridges a lot? That feels like a lot. Maybe 35.
5. I’m wondering if whenever I find myself comparing what we do to another homeschool family, if you could have an elf sneak out from behind a corner and Taze me.
6. I’d like watching Downton Abbey to count as “History.”
7. I want my four years of Spanish back.
9. I’d like a stocking full of answers to adorably awesome quandaries.
10. I’d like to meet a version of myself from the future, who comes back to tell me that it all works out – that they grow up happy, find fulfilling careers, caring relationships, and know how to do their own laundry and cook spaghetti and change a tire.
11. Whenever I say I am going online to check “just one thing,” I’d like you to crash our WiFi.
12. Next time someone says to me, “Don’t you worry about socialization?” I want to have the bravery to say, “I used to, but not since we’ve started letting them out during the day.”
13. I’d like DCFS not to show up after I say that.
14. I’d like Bill Nye back on television. He’d probably do it if you asked. He seems really awesome like that.
15. I’d like more days where we make paper boats and float them in the creek, and nights when we snuggle under blankets outside and whisper stories. I’d like to remember that learning comes with us wherever we go.
16. I’d like to remember to see my kids as they are. Every day. I’d like to not make value judgments based on how I learned that learning happens.
17. I’d like society to show more respect for kids. I’d like to move this one to the top, actually.
18. I’d like peace on Earth, and I’ve heard a few times that it has to begin with me, so I’d like to remember to smile and hug these small people when I really feel like crawling behind the fridge and eating chocolate.
19. I’d still like chocolate.
20. And I guess last, Santa, I’d like to remember to be grateful – for the opportunity to homeschool, for this chance to watch my kids grow and learn–and for the memories we are making every day.
Because the truth is, I already have so much. I just want to remember to see that.
Yeah – I think that’s the gift I want this year most of all.
What would your homeschool mom heart appreciate most of all this year?
Originally published on December 20, 2013