Has your family been enjoying plenty of books, video clips, food, and fun during launch week of our Read the World Summer Book Club? I hope so!
It’s been tremendous to watch you all enjoying this book baby of mine (so much that it SOLD OUT on Amazon–but don’t worry, more copies on the way!). My heart has felt as though it will burst with joy at times as I see all you’ve been up to.
As Sarah and I planned the book club, we wanted a way for all of you following along to get to know what it’s really like growing up in various parts of the world.
So we came up with a weekly blog series to add to our global adventures–and wanna know the best part? Your family is invited to contribute to it, too!
Check it out:
South Africa, the United Arab Emirates, the Philippines–these are just a few of the spots we’ll be visiting, thanks to a handful of new friends who have invited us to peek into their lives!
Each family will answer these questions:
– Tell us about your family.
– Tell us about where you live and how long you’ve lived there.
– What do you think is unique and special about living where you do?
– What languages are spoken there? If it’s different from English, can you help us learn a few common phrases?
– What are some traditional foods there?
– Tell us about the climate where you live.
– What does school look like for the majority of kids where you live?
– What does school look like for your family?
– Are there any special festivals or traditions you’d like to tell us about related to where you live?
– If you ever had to move away from where you live, what do you think you’d miss most?
– Do you have a favorite book that takes place in your region/country?
Gather your kids around the laptop each Friday and check out these posts together. Each week we’ll also include a few fun facts for you to share with your children about the countries we highlight – think of it as a global unit study!
And here’s where you come in:
To celebrate the end of the summer book club, we want to host a huge WORLDWIDE link up right here on Monday, August 22nd!
Sometime between now and then, sit down with your kids and answer the same questions above about what it’s like growing up in your neck of the woods! Post it to your own blog or just save your responses.
Then on August 22nd, come back here and link up to share your post (or if you don’t have a blog, you can share your answers in the comments.)
Afterwards, take as long as you want to globally “hop” from one post to another and travel the world, meeting real families around the planet!
Doesn’t that sound like such a fun (& cheap) way to travel and end the summer? Can’t wait!
Adios, arrivederci, sayonara and totsiens for now, but we’ll see you right back here on Monday, when we head to our next Read the World Summer Book Club destination together!
Can you and yours join in and link up with us on August 22nd?