Last Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, we followed our usual tradition of chopping down our Christmas tree.
But there’s another tradition we always follow on that day as well, and I was reminded of it when one of my children asked:
“When will we get the Christmas books out?”
It wouldn’t be the holiday season without a selection of special titles to read and share together, would it?
So here’s a list of 20 favorites–most of these reside in our personal home library, but a few are new-to-me popular titles I’ve heard about online. Enjoy!
* A Child is Born by Margaret Wise Brown (Out of print, but so special I had to include it!)
* Christmas in the Manger by Nola Buck
* Apple Tree Christmas by Trinka Hakes Noble
* Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson
* A Christmas Carol (picture book edition) by Charles Dickens (I’m excited about using this edition to introduce my three to this classic!)
* The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Woljciechowski
* The Christmas Story by Jane Werner Watson (Love these illustrations by Eloise Wilkin–you’ll recognize them from her other Little Golden Books.)
* God Gave Us Christmas by Lisa T. Bergren
* How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
* The Little Drummer Boy by Ezra Jack Keats
* The Nativity by Julie Vivas
* The Nutcracker Ballet by Vladimir Vagin
* The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
* Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale by Martin Waddell
* Santa’s Favorite Story: Santa Tells the Story of the First Christmas by Hisako Aoki
* Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Buehner
* The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden
* Mr Willowby’s Christmas Tree by Robert Barry
* The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
* Little House Christmas Treasury by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Takes the holiday chapters out of each Little House book and combines them into one treasury. We read them each year!)
Have another holiday favorite in your home library? Share it with us in the comments!
Originally published on November 29, 2012